Journey to the past
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journey to the past

A Marauders era RP-forum

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Two's Company (private)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Prongs

Prongs

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-04-11

Two's Company (private) Empty
PostSubject: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:33 am

Date: 1st September 1975

The rumble of the train was hypnotic, soothing as James arrived in the Head compartment of the train and settled immediately into one of the plush armchairs that were fixed to the floor. It felt good, finally, to be away from the incessant taunting that he'd received at the hands of the Marauders. The jokes, the comments...the pranks...worriedly, he glanced down at his robes, hoping desperately that the magically luminous letters that Sirius (and, he suspected, Remus) had charmed onto them saying "Kick The Wanker" had faded.

Honestly, with friends like these, who needs enemies?

He knew that he had to attend the Prefect's meeting in ten or fifteen minutes, and the thought still made his stomach turn slightly. Him. A prefect. Not just any prefect though, no no no, King-fucking-Prefect himself. Mind you, at least he'd calmed down slightly from when he'd first found out.

The slow movement of the carriage from side to side was lulling him gently into sleep, an inexorable push towards the realms of somnambulence, and away from that of reality. He knew the Head Girl would be in any second (and oh boy, did he hope that he was right on who it would be), but he figured a few moments of simply...resting his eyelids...well, it couldn't hurt, could it?

He was just about to drift off when the sound of the carriage door wrenched him back to consciousness.
Back to top Go down
LilyFlower

LilyFlower

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:38 am

Lily Evans had come to school that year with high hopes and expectations, especially after she had received her Head Girl badge. Her parents had been so proud of her and she had been ecstatic about the news. A small smile graced her perfect lips as she stood in her compartment. It had been a warm day and she wore a simple pair of jeans that clung to her smooth curves and a plain white fitted tang top. Her sweater had been thrown inside her trunk she wouldn’t need it. She had decided to find a compartment to herself mostly because she wanted to get a bit of light reading done. Of course light reading had been the extremely large Advanced Charms tome that sat in her lap.

They had left the station at least twenty minutes ago and she knew that she would have to attend the prefect’s meeting that morning to direct it along with the Head Boy. Quite frankly she hadn’t had a clue who Dumbledore would name Head Boy that year and she was quite curious. Part of her had expected Remus Lupin to be given the position and if that were true they would get much accomplished that year. After all they had a good working environment together. Unfortunately though she couldn’t go to the Prefect’s meeting wearing what she was; she would need to change into the school issued robes. Making sure her compartment was lock she pulled out the items of clothing she would need as she began to change into them. She decided to leave her long crimson locks flowing down her back in waves. Reaching inside her pocket she pulled out the Head Girl badge she was given; pinning it to her robes so that in hung perfectly. The morning sunlight glinted on the badge through the train window. Putting away her tome and locking up her trunk Lily exited the compartment to make her way towards the front of the train where the meeting would be held.

Mentally she went over the list they would have to go over in her head – divide the rounds, welcome, introductions. She ticked each thing off in her head as her emerald hues would glance about the corridor which was eerily quiet that morning; quite uncommon especially when the Marauders were on board. She half expected to run into the dynamic duo themselves but they were no where in sight. Perhaps this would be some sort of sign to the brand, new year ahead of them and she couldn’t help but bask in this hopefully permanent change. Finally she had reached the first car of the train, reaching the door. Lily would whisper the password softly and she would hear the soft click of the lock. Reaching for the handle she’d pulled the door to the side, stepping inside the compartment.

The sound of the door sliding closed was the only sound that echoed in her mind when her emerald gaze fell on the boy sitting before her – not Remus Lupin. Lily was absolutely mortified by the person who really sat there and her gaze fell to the badge which looked authentic. There had to be some mistake, this had to be a joke. How in the world had James Potter become Head Boy of Hogwarts? He had broken more rules then the entire first through fourth years combined! He had to be playing some game; Remus must have given the badge to him temporarily to push her buttons. A hard, steeling glare would be sent his way as her hands rested on her hips. With a raised shrill she would release all the tension that had bottled up inside.

“Potter what in the bloody hell are you doing here? This is the Head's Compartment – you don’t belong here.”

There was no way this could be real. James Potter didn’t have the frame of mind to be Head Boy. She took a few mental calming breaths. This was all a mistake. James Potter was not and could never be Head Boy.

“Very funny Potter – now where’s Remus?”

That had to be the answer; it was the only explanation she could come up with at the moment. This was just another scam of Potter’s mission to bring her to insanity and Sirius Black was probably watching from afar laughing his ass off. So much for those changes she had been hoping for. She would never believe he of all people had actually deserved the position. Never in a million years.

“I don’t know what game you're pulling but this is not amusing in the least.”

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prongs

Prongs

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:40 am

He couldn't help but grin as the footsteps suddenly stopped. It had to be Evans, there was nobody else who'd be stumped in such an infuriated way by his mere presence. Apart from Snivellus maybe. And in all honesty, he wouldn't have been surprised to learn that the little snake had been named Head Girl. He'd always suspected that he wore a petticoat under those robes, even if the time they'd dangled him upside down for the world to see had proven that theory wrong.

He chanced cracking an eye open, his grin broadening as he took in the girl before him. Her crimson, silken hair spilled out over her shoulders as her viridian eyes glittered with what he could only assume was cold fury. Her hands were on her hips - he wondered if she even knew whether or not she did that - and the slow flush that was crawling up her cheeks was utterly endearing. Well, endearing, and terrifying. To say that he wasn't slightly afraid for his life would be a lie. On a par with Peter's supposed "broom cupboard experiences" with a fifth year Ravenclaw who hadn't known his name when questioned on the matter. He sat forward, standing up and giving her an appraising glance. He shouldn't tease her, he knew this - this was his chance to play the adult, the model Head Boy. A leader of the student community, a new, improved, mature man. Not a Marauder.

The problem with that was that James Potter was born a Marauder, and he'd die a Marauder, no matter what else changed.

"Looking good, Evans." He remarked with a wink. And wow, didn't she just! Where did those curves come from? He was sure that her robes didn't look so...defined, last year. She was certainly blossoming, that much was certain. With a slight internal raising of an eyebrow, he redoubled his conviction to take her to Hogsmeade this year...once she calmed down, of course. "And er, sorry to break it to you," He tapped the shining Head Boy badge on his breast, just above the ensign of Gryffindor house, "But I think you'll find I do."

Oh man, she didn't like that. He sat back down and crossed one leg idly over his knee, fishing around in his pocket for his pack of Bertie Botts' Every-Flavour-Beans. After a few seconds of rummaging as she snapped at him, her arms now folded (unfortunately) over her chest, he found them.

"I dunno, they can't come in here. We've tried, the room threw them out." He replied nonchalantly, opening the packet and taking one before offering it to her, not bothering to explain the moronically-evident meaning of 'we'. His eyes widened slightly at her next outburst as he yanked the packet back, popping a red bean into his mouth that tasted suspiciously like mud. "Oh come on Evans," He said exasperatedly, finally losing some of the good humour that he'd built up to cushion her inevitable outburst. "I'm one of the top students in the year, I get better marks than you in Herbology. Is it really that hard to believe that I've got this badge?" As if for good measure he tapped it again, flashing her another patented Potter grin, guaranteed to charm (or blind). Alright, he was lying through his teeth, he was absolutely gobsmacked that he'd received the badge, but she didn't need to know that. Oh no she didn't.

"Besides," He winked at her as he stood up again, folding up the packet and putting them back into his trousers after unfortunately coming across an onion flavoured bean. "Don't pretend your heart isn't beating that little bit faster, that you're not that little bit more excited about this year now you'll be spending it with me." He grinned impishly as he stepped around the chair, unconsciously removing himself from any physical reach. "Frankly, I'm surprised you received the badge." He teased, leaning forward on the back of the chair. "I've never seen you as a particularly assertive authority figure. The only time you ever scared us was when you shrunk Sirius' trousers three sizes down in fourth year..." He trailed off, the troubling memory flashing over his mind. "Actually, come to think of it...maybe you are a bit scary..."
Back to top Go down
LilyFlower

LilyFlower

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:43 am

James Potter infuriated her to no end! Lily could feel his appraising gaze run up and down the curves of her body which had caused her to cross her arms over her chest in response. As if she was trying to shield herself from his gaze. He was utterly reprehensible in her mind and she was expected to work with him throughout the entire year? That wouldn’t happen – ever. She still didn’t believe him; she still felt he was pulling her leg. After all, this was James Potter. Why the hell should she believe him in the first place? Her glare was set as she decided to continue standing there. The Prefect’s meeting wasn’t for another fifteen minutes, which meant she was stuck here. Lily had half a mind to turn on her heel and walk out of the compartment. She would of course come back for the meeting but something had kept her there. The summer had obviously brought many changes which she may have noticed if she wasn’t extremely pissed off with him. He would definitely get a taste of her stubborn, red-headed, hot temper. A crimson flush of anger could easily be seen in contrast to her porcelain skin tone. How dare he!

“You’re an arrogant self righteous prat Potter! I refuse to believe you were able to get that badge.”

She would have taken anyone but him and that included Severus Snape. Lily had ignored the offer of Every Flavor Beans, they were probably poisoned anyway. Even though she watched him eat one all on his own. She was getting ahead of herself but James Potter had always been one to crawl under her skin. We? She assumed he was including the mutt as well; especially since mutt and master were never parted from each other. Figures. She didn’t include Remus in her insults though. Her own brow would raise high in the air as she shifted her weight from one foot to the next.

“When it comes down to it Potter you’re a clown. No one in their right mind would give you a badge. You constantly break rules; you’re immature, arrogant…”

The list trailed off as she began to tick off all the reasons why James Potter didn’t deserve a badge. He had some nerve assuming as much as he did. She was blinded by her rage towards him; she ignored the little effects his presence would cause. Lily had done a good job of it so far.

“In your dreams Potter. The day I have any feelings towards you besides hate, annoyance and frustration is the day I see pompous Slytherins get along with muggleborn wizards and witches.”

He was questioning her reasons for having a badge? If James Potter wanted to see exactly what Lily Evans was capable of, he would. Her glare set further as her emerald hues blazed with a fire from deep within. There was no way she would last an entire year with him. And she was past the point of understanding or the fact that could try to work this out. Eventually they would have to come to some sort of agreement unless they wanted this year to be completely unproductive. She gave him no response after that though. This was just too much to swallow in one day.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prongs

Prongs

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 am

He was slightly taken aback by her sheer outrage at the fact that he'd gotten a badge. Yeah, he'd meant to get a rise out of her with his words, that was his defence mechanism after all. But still, not being able to see any redeeming qualities in someone and vocalising that point to the nth degree was guaranteed to cut, even if it was shallow. He couldn't deny it hurt a little, but he covered this up with a frustrated sigh.

"Look, Evans." he said, trying a new tact and a calm, level voice, purposefully devoid of the usual cockiness. "I don't care if you'd rather I didn't have a badge. I wasn't expecting a hug and congratulatory kiss," Although, that would be nice. "But I do have one. Someone apparently thinks I'm worth more than you do, and sorry, but you have to deal with that." The last part came out slightly waspishly and he fought to regain control of it.

And failed.

"Besides," He grinned, not being able to keep up the wounded puppy facade for any longer, "Haven't you learned by now that I think you're pretty when you're incandescent with rage? You're only encouraging me, getting pissed off at me just being here." He glanced up at her as she refused to meet his gaze, her arms still folded. "Take a seat." He said finally, rolling his eyes at her. "For Merlin's sake, I'm not going to bite." He wiggled his eyebrows, "Unless that's your thing. Okay, it's not mine, but we can compromise...fine, I'll stop." He sat back down in his chair.

"What do you figure for the meeting agenda?" He shifted instantly into business mode as if the tension that hung over them now didn't exist in the slightest, hoping that the quick transition would be enough to unseat her mood by getting her talking about something she obviously liked. Authority.

Actually, that could be quite kinky...

Vaguely, it occured to him that this was the longest she'd spoken to him for, for about three and a half months. He decided not to vocalise that last thought.
Back to top Go down
LilyFlower

LilyFlower

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:47 am

To say Lily Evans was shocked was an understatement. Brow would still be raised high but this time in curiosity. When her gaze fell towards him once more she was surprised to see and hear the serious nature in his tone. He had almost seemed unrecognizable to her for a split second. Until reality came crashing back down when he returned to his usual self. A heavy sigh escaped her lips; she wasn’t in the mood for laughing. Lily had taken a seat in the furthest corner of the room from him. She wished she had thought to bring her tome with her to keep her busy while she was here. Instead she opted to prop her legs up on the cushioned bench she was sitting on as her head would lean against the wall. Emerald eyes would gaze out the compartment window; trying without effort to forget that she was stuck here with James Potter of all people. She felt somewhat foolish with herself at the moment; she should have handled all this better. But unfortunately she had been blind sided and thrown for a loop. It took James Potter to remind her of their duties and that above all annoyed her to no end. In the future she would deal with him better or at least she hoped. Silence entered the compartment as she fell into her own world. That was until he brought her back down with mention of the meeting.

“Introductions and welcomes followed by handing out the schedule for rounds around the train. If you don’t want to handle it I have no problem doing it on my own.”

After all she had been a prefect and had seen previous Heads take care of the first Prefect meeting of the new school year. It wasn’t meant to undermine him, it was just a suggestion. She figured he’d probably want to get back to his friends soon anyway. One step at a time she chanted in her head. Perhaps they could come to some sort of agreement. Head duties were business, the battle lines would be put to the side. But outside that her defense would shoot up again.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prongs

Prongs

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:48 am

He nodded slowly, sitting back in his chair and thinking about her offer. He hadn't had any experience as a prefect, true. That was only one of the reasons why he thought that his appointment was odd. But still...he was Head Boy, and he did want to work as much as Lily would be at this.

No, he didn't want to prove himself to her. Well he did, but that was only a part of it. In some ways...he wanted to justify it to himself, to prove to his own conscience that he was capable of fulfilling the role. And he didn't want to let down Dumbledore, a man who'd given so much to his group of friends over the years, and now to James himself. A man he wouldn't want to disappoint. Briefly, he scared himself by having brief memories of his father and mother's words floating across his mind. Words about duty, responsibility. His grandparents, murdered this summer by Death Eaters, their words about following your heart and doing the right thing...

...god, was he actually being responsible for a change?

"Thanks...but I can handle it." He said quietly, staring out of the window as the train sped through the countryside outside of Reading on its way towards Scotland. That brief, five seconds of introspection had cost him all of the bravado he'd managed to build up through the conversation, and inwardly he winced. The last person he wanted to see him vulnerable was Lily bloody Evans.

So with an intake of breath, sitting up in his chair, he decided that she wouldn't.

"I have a few things I need to say anyway, that Dumbledore wants me to, I think." He said, pulling the battered piece of paper that he'd written his introductory speech on from inside of his robes, along with the letter from Dumbledore. Briefly, he opened the missive, his eyes scanning the slanted form of the letters before he placed it back inside his pocket, feeling slightly more heartened already.

"S'just stuff about inter-House unity...about what's going on in the world and how Hogwarts needs to be kept separate from that..." He explained, passing her the sheet. "Here, you can read it over, to make sure I don't swear or anything during it. God forbid." He passed her the piece of paper. "D'you know who the seventh year Slytherin prefects are?" He asked, after a few minutes of silence. He figured he may as well be prepared, although he figured he already knew who one was. The banter seemed to have slipped suddenly as they talked shop, their trading of barbs and come-ons, of insults and attacks momentarily ceased for the moment as more important issues encroached into their sphere of existence, as the outside world slipped its tendrils into their own small world of the Heads carriage. James supposed it was good in some ways, it showed that they could exchange a few sentences at least in an even voice.

It was a start, if nothing else.
Back to top Go down
LilyFlower

LilyFlower

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 am

Lily Evans had the chance to get a good look at James Potter. Head would tilt slightly watching his mannerisms as he seemed to be lost in his own world at the moment. Something obviously plagued him but she knew it wasn’t her place to ask about it. In that moment James Potter had showed a maturity she had never seen before. Perhaps he would be able to handle the duties after all. In that moment she decided she would try to see exactly what Headmaster Dumbledore had seen in James. This didn’t mean they would be friends; on the contrary. This just meant she would give him a chance to prove that he could be better then he was to the outside world. She had always known there was more to him but she never acknowledged it. For many reasons and one of those reasons had been in fear of what she would discover. Thoughts from the summer past crept back into her mind. She found herself unconsciously biting down on her lower lip to hide whatever it was she was trying to hide. After all there was no reason to bring those thoughts up again. When he finally spoke she would nod along with him.

“Alright – if you’re sure you can handle it.”

She glanced curiously at the letter he handed over towards her. Lily had believed him so he had no reason to prove the fact that it was indeed a letter from Dumbledore himself. Scanning it with emerald green eyes she would read on. She may have been a muggle that didn’t fully understand the wizarding world but she knew all too well the issues that were brought up. Especially the ones that dealt with muggleborn witches and wizards. The prejudices that still existed within the world. She had been on the receiving end of some of them. Now that she was Head Girl she knew she would be some target for their scrutiny and every move she made would be watched very closely. She had to watch her step. Lily had tried in vain to push out such thoughts. She needed to center herself on the job at hand. She couldn’t allow herself to fall prey to them. She had to be strong, for many reasons. Lily wouldn’t reveal her insecurities though especially to James Potter of all people.

“Alright then. Severus and Narcissa are the Slytherin Prefects.”

Her voice took on a softer nature as if James was just another person. Not the James Potter she was supposed to hate and despise until the end of her days. She had to wonder though. How long would this last before he showed his true colors again?

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prongs

Prongs

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 am

"Snape and Black," He sighed, picking at a thread on the armchair. "Great...alright." This day just kept getting better and better.

Silence fell between the pair then, the only noise being the general racket of the train, the occasional muffled laugh from the Prefect's carriage and the quiet tick-tock of the grandfather clock affixed to the wall. The sunlight threw its wavering pattern over the side of the carriage as the train turned this way and that, weaving and winding through the English countryside like a snake would an underground warren. James inadvertently shuddered at his own analogy. Somehow, given recent times, that wasn't fantastically comforting. Especially when you'd be situated approximately in the belly of the beast.

To distract himself from his own thoughts, he glanced up at Lily. She too was glancing out of the window, lost in thought as he was a few moments previous. He took a few moment simply to look at her, to drink in the detail and revel in the strange little thrill he felt at seeing her again. Despite how he might come across, he genuinely did feel strongly for Evans, had done since his third year, really. It was nice to be in her company and be civilised for a change, he realised suddenly, without innuendo or shouting.

And it didn't hurt that she was beautiful to look at.

However, he realised it was dragging on too long, and so after a while, he spoke up.

"So erm, did you have a good summer?" He asked, his own voice sounding odd in the tranquility of their carriage. Her eyes met his then, a fusion of mahogany and viridian that would have made him catch his breath, were he inclined towards such physical displays of his emotions. He could help the quiet chuckle, and the small grin he cast her way. "You didn't write back from the owl I sent you, so I'm woefully in the dark."
Back to top Go down
LilyFlower

LilyFlower

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:53 am

Lily would have to smirk at that. She knew all too well the feud between James and Severus. The Slytherin pair was amusing to say the least. Severus wouldn’t make her job difficult but Black would go out of her way to point out the flaws she had. And now she would have to take orders from her, it was bittersweet in a sense, after all this time. The silence had returned, slightly uncomfortable this time because she knew James was sitting right across the way not even a foot away. She had averted her eyes from him since she didn’t want to seem rude and openly stare in his direction. She realized they had never really had a civil conversation. That didn’t mean it wasn’t attempted but usually it would crash and burn because of James or because of his friends, namely Black. Her gaze would of course turn to his when he spoke to her. Lily would attempt to get along for the time being.

“I had a lovely summer. My family and I visited France this year for about a month and then I spent the rest of the vacation home. How about you?”

It was of course the shortened version. She felt no need to explain the down parts of her home life which included her sister and her fiancé. Lily also didn’t want to linger on the subject because of a certain memory from her summer vacation. It still hurt so she forced a small genuine smile on her perfect lips at the mention of his owl. She had received it, she wouldn’t admit she opened it and read the letter. Lily had considered writing back but had decided against it for many reasons.

“Oh yes, I believe that ended up in the fireplace. My sister wasn’t too fond of the fact that there was an owl in her bedroom.”

She chuckled lightly at that for that’s exactly what she had done. No need to mention everything else that came along with that statement. Lily clearly remembered that morning when the owl had tried in vain to find an open window. The only one happened to be her sister’s. Boy did her sister have a heart attack that morning.

Last edited by on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Prongs

Prongs

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 am

"Yeah, it was good." he replied, still slightly spun out by the surreality of the situation. Nothing had been thrown, whether it be hex or insult yet, and it was slightly unnerving to tell the truth. Not that it wasn't good, just...yeah. Weird. "Pad...Sirius is living at my house now, so we had a great time." He said slightly stoically, knowing that his best friend probably wouldn't appreciate him extrapolating on the reasons as to why he was currently living at the Potter residence.

He raised an eyebrow at her explanation of what happened to his owl.

"Really?" He asked, confused. "Surely your family's used to them by now, you've been at Hogwarts for six years?" He ran a hand through his hair, this time out of puzzlement more than anything, mussing it up slightly before he glanced at his watch. Oh well, he supposed that explained what happened to the letter. Although he had a sneaking suspicion that it might have been Lily who instigated the Great Missive Conflagration, he didn't say anything. He hadn't expected a reply, in all honesty. He knew that she corresponded with Remus sometimes (a fact that drove him green with envy for the werewolf), but he'd not she'd read one from him in a million years.

Oh well.

"Head Students' quarters should be nice." He remarked, still passing the time. "I've nearly forgotten what a room to my own is like, especially with Sirius this summer. Okay, he doesn't stay in my room, but he makes enough noise that he might as well be." He remarked with a wry grin, before blinking a few times and searching around for a topic that would be a bit more user friendly. Somehow, he doubted that Lily Evans was particularly enthralled with the idea of studying Sirius Black's sleeping habits.

Or at least he hoped not.

Oh god.

"Still got a few minutes. D'you want to go through, or d'you actually want a Bertie Botts Bean this time?" He asked with a smile, proferring the pack to her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two's Company (private)   Two's Company (private) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two's Company (private)
Page 1 of 1